4.03.2005

Sin City

Sin City was an excellent movie. I do not feel qualified to say too much, as I have seen little in the film noir genre. The movie was shot with an understated elegance and the characters were portrayed excellently. The plot reminded me of Lord of the Rings in some ways. In LotR, the viewer (or especially, the reader) gets the feeling that the world of Middle Earth is much larger than the story being told. Sin City is divided into three stories told in sequence, each of which interlink with each other. Certain locations and characters are seen in each. I felt as if Sin City was a real place and we are just getting a glimpse into a much larger world. Artistically, then, it is a masterpiece.

I'm not quite as pysched about the message it left me with. Independence and inner strength, rather than love or truth, are the virtues prized most highly in Sin City. Nothing wrong with those, of course; it's merely that when they become dominant in our motivations, we lose an important part of ourselves.

Perhaps that is the message of Sin City: this world is so evil that few survive, and none survive whole.