2.21.2004

Haiti

I confess that I am rather confused about Haiti. The US is in a coalition looking at military intervention in Haiti. Rebels have taken a lot of northern Haiti. And, to quote the public CIA files, "a political crisis stemming from fraudulent legislative elections in 2000 has not yet been resolved." This is not even the first time that President Jean-Bertrand Aristide has been under serious attack. He was deposed for most of his first term, back in 1991.

With all that in mind, I have one question: Why are we even thinking about going down in that hell-hole? It seems that both sides are the bad guys, and America should not get involved. Iraq was one thing: Saddam very clearly was evil. I do not see that moral clarity in this case. If someone knows something I don't, please help me.