2.22.2005

The Conservative Philosopher Saga

Sadly, as soon as I put The Conservative Philosopher on my blogroll, it began to self-implode. Keith Burgess-Jackson decided to disable comments; he claims it was due to anonymous trolls, others say he couldn't take the heat. Max Goss, a contributor at both TCP and WorldMagBlog, decided this was the last straw and quit his association with TCP. Burgess-Jackson then posted on his personal site a rant asserting that he "kicked" Max Goss off the blog for not having completed his doctorate yet. Max has replied on his sub-blog on World.

A few thoughts: Goss has been the one bringing the facts to the forefront, posting the contents of his emails. Burgess-Jackson has been childish and deceitful. I am inclined to believe Goss's claims here. As a undergraduate student considering entering academia, I am saddened by KBJ's actions. Although I don't know either of these guys, I would like to believe that professionalism and decorum are expected in philosophy. This incident combined with a spat I witnessed between a very prominent philosopher (who shall go unnamed) and a questioner at a colloquium is quickly disabusing me of that notion. I assumed that a brilliant person whose job is to think about what really matters would realize the importance of truth and benevolence. Sigh. To sum up, I am adding Max's blog to the roll on my sidebar.

UPDATE (10:53 2/24): If you feel like reading more off-the-cuff opinions, Max has collected all the accounts of this spat that he can find here, including mine. Thank you for the link, Max!

UPDATE 2 (1:37 2/24):I just noticed that some of the links I used are duds. I'm fixing the problem now.