5.05.2004

Confessions of a Libertarian: why I don't like pot

I agree with libertarians on almost every issue. Their logic makes sense to me... wait, they're the only politicians that use logic. GWB and The Terminator have convinced me that the Republican party is going down the drain. I am pretty much a full-fledged libertarian now. Except on one issue: the legalization of drugs.

Being in college, I've seen what alcohol can do to somebody. It can get pretty scary. I agree that pot's not really as bad (not from personal experience, of course). I don't like the government regulating substances, either. But I'm still not convinced that because alcohol is worse than pot, we should legalize pot. It's still pretty bad.

People are influenced strongly by laws, and what is legal and illegal. I know many people that would be more likely to try pot or do it regularly if the government legalized it. Even though it's wrong, we look to the government as big brother. If he says it's ok, then it must be. While I support the right of people to choose, I also realize that legalizing pot would lead to more people getting high. This would be counterproductive to society. I'm not convinced that legalizing marijuana would be a good move at this time.

On an interesting note, the Dutch are considering regulating marijuana because of its strength. Yeah, this is kind of old news.